This Week’s Goal
- continue with scales and excercises
- continue with pieces
Long Term Goal
- Grade 5 2021
Notes 13 Jan
Keep up scales and be accurate
- careful with overpedalling
- even in pp sections, make sure melody can be heard. use soft pedal (una corda)
- sf is more expressive than large
- to get more intense we can also change the note length
- bar 42 staccatos must be soft
- natural separation on these staccatos, relaxed
- don’t jump on these staccatos. must be less energy
- to make fz louder, make everything around it softer.
Notes 16 Dec
Start Ex 5C + continue with scales
Can start a List C
- Don’t be careless with fingering
- ending ff, not too polite.
- this articulation contributes ‘funiness’. accent at start of slur
- follow dynamics carefully, then they will make sense
- first 8 bars, would recommend going slower. Still need to focus on the super legato RH. Occassionally RH doesn’t come with LH
- Make sure top note is louder
Notes 9 Dec
- all scale + 5B left hand version
- bar 20-32, gradual buildup. Loudness to related to how wide the music is
- this piece is defined by different moods. Sometimes it is serious, but sometimes it is silly
- silliness is caused by sf, and differences to the melody (variations)
Notes 2 Dec
Do Ex 5B
Watch fingering LH G# melodic minor. Make sure scales are legato. Make sure scales are together. Increase speed
- For first page, adopt relaxed posture. Will help balance accomapaniment.
- Make sure there is clear difference between melody and accompaniment in RH even when getting louder
- bar 11, RH not too soft
- bar 14, voice LH over RH
- Check RH bar 26
Notes 25 Nov
Ex 5A, and continue with scales
- dolce – sweetly, balance with RH and LH. Because RH needs to be heard even if it’s really soft.
- markings such as dynamics are about phrasing. If you can do phrasing, you will be fine
- 2nd page, LH soft, RH phrase, add pedal in this section for contrast.
- bar 14, voice LH
- bar 16, watch out for notes in RH. Also the biggest peak of the piece
- bar 26, tranquil, keep pedal down, keep all notes soft.