Goal for this week
- E minor arpeggio hands together, practice other arpeggios
- Moonlight Serenade, first 3 lines hands together
- Jingpo, get more consistent and have a look at dynamics
Long term goal
- Grade 5 exam, early 2021
Notes 14 Nov
- continue with arpeggios, try a bit hands together:
- the key is to read REALLY carefully and slowly. There will be some chords that sound a little bit weird.
- easiest way to put hands together is: hands separate, one bar at a time
- accurate reading: what is the key signature, what flats repeat
- it’s fine to practice this one less while you practice others
Jingpo Folk Song
- accents on sf
- watch dynamics, breath marks and pedalling
- at the start bigger difference between mf and p
- bigger difference between mf and f also
Notes 7 Nov
- improve arpeggios in general. This week is arpeggio week.
- avoid rushing sections, listen to LH beat if you’re going too fast. Choose a medium speed
- dynamics are all about doing BIG comparisons
- 2nd page, add extra small notes
- bar 44, keep same speed
- bar 50 is still wrong
- pay attention to Bb and read carefully.
Notes 31 Oct
- similar motion is good, practice all other scales as well. Arpeggio need to be hands together and 4 octaves
- RH keep the top, LH keep the bot
- on the current track of Rainbow, we are unlikely to get to the end soon. We will try Moonlight because we can get to the end much quicker
- See playlist for recording
- Goal: hand separate, first 3 lines
- consistency is getting better, next week we will look also at dynamics as well next week. Prepare to high standard
Notes 24 Oct
- Good: not stopping
- Could be better: dynamics/some stops
- continue to work on arpeggios and all scales, make sure arpeggios are 4 octaves
- con pedale – with pedal, use your instincts
- bar 8, watch out for tie
- goal is up to the top of the second page
- best thing to do this week is understand how these sections connect. Try slower, but all connected with same speed.
- Sometimes there will be a metronome in your LH, use that to check
- bar 50-52 is still incorrect RH
Notes 17 Oct
- do contrary motion and all arpegios
- do STOPS test, can I get through this part without STOPS
- do DYNAMICS test, can I do the dynamics well? Don’t lift high on the soft bits. Do soft bits quick and soft and remember to go
- If you can do both these things, then that is 90% is the work
- bar 12, slur must be smooth with pedal.
- bar 23, suprise, no cresc
- After the recording, we will focus more on the other two pieces
- LH softer in the background bar 1
- Tika Tika Tika Ti rhythm bar 19. Make sure RH is under LH so you can do this.
- There are still the same missing notes
Notes 10 Oct
- C melodic minor LH, 4 on D
- Contrary motion, try hands separate before putting them together
- Try Eb major arpeggio as well, but focus on contrary motion
- Still needs much more dynamics, especially soft bits. Think is this as soft as I can go?
- Need to get it constant, follow these steps
- Think no gaps!
- Go slow, but with no gaps
- Try small sections
- bar 35 RH octave higher
- Recording for student of the week 24 Oct
- bar 19, missing note RH
- bar 47 make sure extra top notes are correct
- we will have a look at more expression next week.